Monday, January 19, 2009

Ceremony Readings

My two readings I chose for the wedding. What do you guys think? Simply adore this poem by Pablo Neruda.

Love Sonnet XVII
I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz, or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off. I you as certain dark things are to be loved in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers; thanks
to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or why, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without
complexities or pride; so I love you because I know no other way.

than this: where I does not exist, nor you, so close that your hand on my chest is my hand, so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

My second reading come from the Bible. It's commonly used for weddings, but still love it nonetheless.

1 Corinthian 13:1-13
I speak in tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I have nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patients, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keep no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. but where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues
they will be stilled, where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned lie a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


Most likely I will just use excerpts of the poem and the bible passage. Have not quite decided just yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment